Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Our Three Day Weekend

First I want to apologize for a complete lack of photos. I didn't have my camera with me at our various activities, and while I tried to take a few with my phone, I don't have a way to get them off the phone, so there will be no photographic evidence of the events of our weekend, but you will get to read about them (ok, so not as fun, but hey, better than nothing, right)

Jared (my hubby) took the older two boys to our Church Fathers and Sons camp-out on Friday night. They had a great time and came back VERY dirty! (The camp-out only lasted from Friday evening to Saturday morning but it is a fun event for the boys and their dads).

Because the Dad and the older boys were gone for the evening. My daughter, our younger two boys and I had a sleepover in Mom and Dad's room. We put on a movie and everyone fell asleep on my bed. The kids seemed to enjoy that and it gave them something special since they didn't go with Dad.

Saturday morning I got up early and headed out a little before 7AM for a 9 mile run. It's not a good sign when you wake up feeling off. My stomach didn't feel great, I couldn't eat much (but I often can't eat much pre-run). I had very little energy and almost went back to bed, but I knew I would be mad at myself if I did, so I headed out anyway. The run really didn't have very many high points. At the start, when I was fresh, I struggled to keep up a 10 min/mi pace...and it only went downhill from there. I had no energy, my hips tightened up the last couple of miles and I really had to force myself to keep putting one foot in front of the other. But, in the end, I finished...an average pace of about and 11 minute mile, but I finished. I was pretty wiped out for the rest of the day and had a REALLY bad headache for most of the day on into the evening.

As if that wasn't enough to make for an exciting Saturday, my middle child (and 2nd son) Max was playing in his room with a stick he had apparently brought home from the camp-out. (I did not know that a stick had been brought home, nor that it was being played with indoors). I heard screaming and my husband calling for me to find a bandaid, so I ran to my bathroom, where I knew I had a supply of bandaids, but then I was called downstairs to inspect the wound. He had a nasty cut on his wrist, very deep and bleeding quite a bit. So we created a makeshift bandage using a papertowel and a strip of KT tape (hey, ya gotta use what ya have, right?) and headed to the urgent care center to get it stitched up (well me, my oldest son-who was brought along to keep pressure on his brother's wrist, and Max, who has the bleeding wrist headed to urgent care, the others stayed home). Three stitches later we headed home to get ready for our next Saturday activity.

As coaches with our local AYSO region, we received as a coaches gift, season tickets to the Ogden Outlaws, a local semi-pro soccer team. The games had started the previous Saturday, but due to an unforeseen event we were unable to make the first game. So, we were determined to go see this one, especially since they were playing the team from BYU. Our daughter had spent most of the day with my parents, and elected to continue her stay with them instead of joining us, but the other six of us headed off to South Ogden to see the game...in the rain. Needless to say it was wet and cold, but we had a fabulous time. The game was great (even if the Outlaws lost by 1 goal) and we can't wait for the next one (and we are crossing our fingers it doesn't rain). It was pretty funny walking out with a wet bum.

Sunday was a nice, low key day of church and dinner at my parent's home. (Especially since I did not have to prepare the meal). Monday was also pretty low key. I went for a run with a local friend (with whom I will be training for my first Marathon), which went great. Later that day hubby and I headed to the grocery store to fill out sadly empty refrigerator. We also cut down the tree in our front lawn that has been half dead for a couple of years. Having been unable to save it, we decided it was time to see it go. Later we meet my parents at Wendy's for a nice, easy dinner.

So that's my weekend..how was yours?


Janice {Run Far} said...

Hey Chris... you are the lucky winner of my active bands giveaway. Email me your address and I will get those in the mail. Thanks for entering.

Alicia said...

Sounds like a pretty nice weekend, well, besides the stitches and less than perfect run. :)

Running Diva Mom said...

Hey! You've won something on my blog -- please check it out and send me your contact info (full name, email, mailing address). Congrats, and thanks for following my journey!!
runningdivamom at yahoo dot com

Anonymous said...

Way to tough out your run! Sometimes I get bad headaches after long runs especially when it is hot. They sometimes last the day.

Jen said...

Chris, you are the winner of the 5K entry for this weekend! Shoot me over an e-mail at jenrunpack (at) gmail (dot) com! I'll get you the head lady's e-mail to get you officially registered! Have fun and make sure to eat lots of pancakes for me!